Oct 13, 2011

Cheap Chic'

For years and years, I have done crafts…painted furniture…decorated and redecorated my home.  This was all before blogs….at least before I knew  anything about blogs!
 Then one day I discovered a blog…I couldn’t even tell you which one it was right now…but I read every post in it…which we all know…leads to another blog…and another blog…and another blog...and omg…you're addicted!!!!
…you can’t stop stalking reading blogs…you're hooked...they become your drug of choice...you begin to feel like you need blogs anonymous! your eyes are open to a whole new world! ..A world of people….like you…people who pick though junk...people who have garages and basements stockpiled with said junk...people who ask for spray paint for Christmas...and people who compulsively decorate and redecorate…and stay up all night long cause you just have to get this project done…abscess over a vignette for hours…and hours…rearrange furniture every couple of weeks…omy gosh…I AM NOT ALONE!  I am NOT nuts….or if I am... there are a lot of us!! 
So I think…"I want a blog"…"I do crafts"…"I paint furniture"…"I have kids and grand kids to talk about"…"I like to take pictures"…"I want a blog too"!! so you spend hours…upon hours upon hours trying to figure it all out…I mean linky parties…whaaaat?  Grab a button…huh?? (keep in mind I’m not a youngin who grew up with computers…but  you should see my 2 year old grandson on a
i pad…he could teach me a thing or two!)

Anyway…the point is…I finally have it figured out…or I am figuring it out…on my own. It has taken me hours and hours I am embarrassed to say…but I have a blog…but between the stalking reading of other blogs…and other things like life and a full time job…I haven’t been able to finish a single project yet!
My point...  I have no new projects to share at the moment….
But I do have a few tips on using what you alredsy have to decorate…or using yard sale or thrift store finds.

My youngest child moved out 6 years ago…not long after she left...and took most of her furniture with her…my husband and I thought we were going to have to move, due to a new job.  The house was going to have to go up for sale.   We have to many bedrooms in this house…and one of them was completely empty…we needed to stage it…
Here is the room…you might want to take a moment at this point...to put your blinders on…it's kind of bright

Anyway…you may not like the color…but the room was put together on a dime let me tell you!

First the bed….it is an old antique metal bed I picked up at a yard sale for 10 bucks…it was in hot pink metallic…yuck…with drips…yuck...but I saw the potential…I stripped it and painted it black. Actually i painted it white at first…and used it in our guest room room for awhile.
The needlepoint was on a old chair that I purchased at a yard sale for 3.00. the chair was beyond repair, so I made the pillow with it.
Next is the nightstands…both I picked up at yard sales…the one table was 10 bucks, and the other…actually an empty sewing machine cabinet…was 3 bucks…I just sprayed them both black as well.  
 The iron over the bed…were left over from my daughters room…they were more of a bronze gold color…again…a few spritz's of black ties them in with the bed…and I was trying to give the allusion they were part of the bed….sorta! 

The flowers were extras from my daughters wedding…the vase and white pitcher…I had sitting around…the lamps I did buy specifically for the room from hobby lobby…at 50% off.  I did add the ribbon and the little trinket that I picked up at Walmart.


Now for the bedding. The bed skirt is actually fabric…fabric that I bought for a skit at church. So I just had it….it was a 1.00 a yard.  I do not sew…except for a semi straight line..so I just folded the fabric in half length wise…the fold at the floor…and pinned the other end to the top of the box springs. 


The comforter itself was a decent quality, still in good shape…but not the colors that I wanted. The top is just a white sheet over it.  The sheet didn’t quite reach down to the bedskirt…there was a big gap,,,what to do?…what to do?….I remembered that I had a tablecloth that I had purchased at an auction…but had never really used it.  It worked perfectly…and gives more of a layered look.  
The chair cover was one of my dining room chair covers that I used at one time. 

  The only other thing purchased specifically for the room was the black and white floral pillows.

the curtain valance, is more of the same fabric I used a bed skirt...the tassels were just here , from some past decorating project.

The room was staged for how much?…I’m sure with everything including paints and curtains…less than 200.00.  if you remember…this sale was suppose to happen 6 years ago…and the room is still this way today. It may not be there much longer...because my tastes... they are a changin...and I am getting the itch...but the idea of this post is to get you thinking about what you might already have around the house to reuse...maybe in a completely different way than it was first intended.

Still counting my blessings
31-35
 job that I enjoy…most of the time
A husband that says “I love you” often
Beautiful fall days
A bowl of ice cream (no shugga added)
A soft comfy bed to crawl into when I’m tired

Good night!
Sharon


linking up with:

3 comments:

  1. I love this room! Don't change it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The room is fantastic!!! I love the colors...you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You also didn't mention how your handsome nephew helped out figure out how to use this mythical "blog"!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by!