Oct 18, 2013

I'm coming clean!

Confession Time

I have become a hoarder!


photo source google

 I wasn't always a hoarder...I mean I always brought in stuff...I like to shop! These kind of places speak to me the same way Pier 1 does!!



 However, I would also have large yard sales and get rid of stuff too...and then take whatever was left to Goodwill...so it kind of balanced out...I stayed on top of it.
 Have you seen the show Hoarders? I have watched in disbelief. How could someone live that way???

I watched one episode where the man's entire yard was filled with everything from piles of clothing...to old cars, trucks, and even a bus! 




How could someone let it get like that?? As they were trying to clean up the yard...they asked him if they could get rid of an old warped, nasty, table top...his response "no...I'm going to fix that up...and make a new table"  I'm sure he laid it out there with good intentions...20 years ago!!! He can't let it go now. "Hey sir, I have a spare pedestal  for your table top, seems I can't let it go either...lets get together sometime!"

I saw myself in that moment...and it scared me...scares me!  I have a basement and a garage full of "good intentions"  Yes I crank out a good DYI project about once a year. I am bringing in quicker than I am putting out!

I understand the hoarder a bit better now!  Basically, they see value in everything...I kind of do that too! "A little paint would turn that into a gem!"  or "Oh I could take that broken thing...connect it to this broken thing...and create some wonderful thing!"  That's great really! To rescue something from it's final resting place in a land fill somewhere. I did this for quite awhile...sold many of my transformed items on ebay a few years back. It's fun, I enjoy it. I have several things around here that I have "rescued". Last month, I brought back this car load from Michigan...2 awesome chairs waiting for a makeover...




and you can read about my haul from 
Arkansas right here

You're just going through life...doing what makes you happy. You're in control.  


Then usually some tragic thing happens...maybe a death...a divorce...an illness...whatever...maybe you have very little time on your hands to get much accomplished from cleaning your house, to getting the laundry done...and the "hobby" get's totally out of hand. Maybe you get new hardwood floors on your entire first floor, so you take everything you had on that floor up to the spare bedrooms...temporarily...until the floors are done...but then you decide you don't want to bring them back down (I may or may not be talking about myself here)

maybe you fluctuate in weight so much that you have 4 different sizes in your closet, and only a few items that actually even fit (I may or may not be talking about myself here) 

maybe you spend to much time on Pinterest getting ideas on what to do with your junk...and have no time left to do anything with it. (and yes I am talking about myself here!)

You begin to get behind...and then suddenly it is just plain overwhelming!


BOOM! I'm living a hoarders lifestyle! Don't get me wrong...my main living areas are ok...but the basement, garage, closets...omg...I'm looking like a hoarder...Now with the overflow in my spare bedrooms! 

Something's gotta give!

I'm done!

It's time to purge...right now...YES! YES!YES!

Last week I took 3 truckloads of hoarded "JUNK" out of my basement and straight to Goodwill.

It was kind of hard! But at the same time...so freeing!! I have already had the "I knew I shouldn't have gotten rid of that!" thought about something I could have used the other day...but you know what...it passed quickly...I can do without it! Maybe there is hope for me after all!


Hope you're having a great day...and thank you for taking a moment out to stop by!  Would appreciate your feedback. Do you have hoarder tendencies? Do you have diamonds in the rough waiting for their turn to shine? Please share! 

Right now, I'm heading in to purge my closet...if you don't hear from me in awhile...call for search and rescue!!

Sharon

Feeling blessed to have stuff
Feeling guilty about having to much!

2 comments:

  1. Laughing with you, not at you because the person you describe may be like me. I just took a bunch of stuff this morning to the local thrift store. While I was in there someone else was buying it! Sometimes you have to look at that stuff and say, yeah that was a good idea, but maybe it is time to pass it on to someone else who could make something even better out of it! Also, If you have put it up for awhile and are now donating it, then you still kept it out of the landfill. Someone else will buy it and find a use for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think just about every blogger out there has these same tendencies! I'm lucky that I have 2 married daughters to "share" my junk with, but their hubbies have let mine know that enough is enough. I've been slowly going through my room of seasonal decorating junk and giving away what I don't need. I don't use my holiday decor as much now that we're empty nesters. It's way too much work when nobody sees it anyway. I'm not going to haul it all out just to take blog photos and then pack it away again! I'm done with that, too! Except for Christmas, that is. :)

    If we don't hear from you for awhile, I'll notify the authorities. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you stopped by!